> After reading http://scute.org/scute.html/Troubleshooting.html
> I noticed that $GPG_AGENT_INFO was not set.
Yes, GnuPG 2.1 does not use (nor set) that variable anymore. But Scute
still needs it in order to locate the socket, especially now that the
socket is no longer always located in $GNUPGHOME.
If I remember correctly, the problem goes like this:
- Scute looks for GPG_AGENT_INFO
- The variable does not exist, so Scute looks for the socket in $GNUPGHOME
- The socket is not there (because it is now somewhere under [/var]/run), so Scute assume there's no running agent
- Scute spawns a new agent with the --use-standard-socket option (which used to instruct the agent to create its listening socket in $GNUPGHOME, but which has no effect with GnuPG 2.1)
- Scute still does not find the socket in $GNUPGHOME, and thus fails with "Cannot connect to GPG Agent"
To avoid this, you need both to set the GPG_AGENT_INFO variable and make sure that the agent is running before you start Firefox (simply calling "gpg-connect-agent /bye" is enough).