Page MenuHome GnuPG

Outlook 2013 Appointments vanish when send as a E-Mail
Testing, NormalPublic


Hi there,

when i receive a encrypted mail, thats has an appointment in it, the apointment is not shown or anywhere to be seen. I cant add it to my calender or whatsoever : / this is really hurting my schedule.

I use Windows 10 with all newest updates, while my working place is using Windows 7. I can receive appointments on the Win 7 PC but cant receive them on the Win 10.

Thanks for your help!



Event Timeline

aheinecke triaged this task as High priority.
aheinecke added a project: gpgol.
aheinecke added a subscriber: aheinecke.


Thanks for the report. Prio High as this is data loss. I won't stop the 3.1.4 release which is currently in progress though as this issue does not appear to be a regression.

I'll try to reproduce this.

It is possible that T4161 is the cause for this so with luck it might be fixed with 3.1.4


Hi Andre,
thanks for the fast feedback. I will wait for the 3.1.4 Release then and test it afterwards. If it still occurs i will update this thread. Thanks for your help!
All the best

Did you have the chance to try it out with 3.1.4?

aheinecke lowered the priority of this task from High to Normal.Nov 6 2018, 11:16 AM

It happens with 3.1.4, too.

It's the same as with any OLE objects inserted in GpgOL. As there is no MIME conversion for them they are only possbile Outlook <> Outlook. But we do PGP/MIME and S/MIME.

I'm not giving up though. I think that we can support handling from Outlook to Outlook. But this is a very big change, so nothing that I can do right away.

I'm lowering it to normal prio as appointments are not proper MIME data and can't be read by other clients and that we don't support Outlook only features in mails is a known issue.

aheinecke added a subscriber: JJworx.

Also reported for Contacts in T4161.

For the next release we should at least show a warning if we detect such an attachment.

I've looked into it alot first: If I use outlooks builtin S/MIME support it also does not work for me, at least over SMTP. I see the attachments but they have unknown type and if I double click them I get errors.

I've tried creating our own "winmail.dat" tnef attachment. But this did not work well either I think in that case I'll probably have to wrap the whole message in tnef and not only the attachments.

Parsing this on the other hand is also not done automatically, even if I set ms-tnef content type we would still have to manually and very low level parse all mapi properties contained in the tnef container and restore them.

For history here is my current state of experiments:

I keep this issue at the back of my mind maybe I'll find a solution at some point but currently I don't see how I can properly do this.

aheinecke changed the task status from Open to Testing.Jan 6 2021, 10:29 AM

This works now with 0c1bd9076958e584820fadf997ca7d8a248b6888 but needs more testing before this can be relased. It will probably be part of a Gpg4win-4 beta.