Page MenuHome GnuPG

Kleopatra: Automatic suggestion of new name for signed/encrypted archive doesn't respect file name extension
Closed, ResolvedPublic

Description

If there is already a file named archive.tar.gpg (or archive.tar.sig) and you try to create a new encrypted (or signed) archive with the same name, then Kleopatra asks whether you want to overwrite the existing file or change the name of the new file. There is also a button to suggest a new file name. Pressing this button will suggest the name archive.tar (1).gpg (or archive.tar (1).sig).

The problem with this suggestion is that Kleopatra doesn't recognize archive.tar (1).gpg as encrypted archive, but just as plain encrypted file.

Event Timeline

ikloecker triaged this task as Normal priority.
ikloecker created this task.
ikloecker moved this task from Restricted Project Column to Restricted Project Column on the Restricted Project board.
ikloecker changed the task status from Open to Testing.Jul 10 2023, 11:11 AM
ikloecker removed ikloecker as the assignee of this task.
ikloecker moved this task from Restricted Project Column to Restricted Project Column on the Restricted Project board.

With the added MIME types Kleopatra now suggests archive (1).tar.gpg as new file name, at least on Linux. Needs to be checked on Windows.

On Windows with gpg4win 4.2.0 the filenames are suggested as in the description of this ticket, that is "Archive.tar (1).gpg".
But this is no issue, it can be decrypted with Kleopatra without any problem, anyway. The name of the decrypted folder is "Archiv.tar (1)" but it is a plain folder, no tar archive.

ebo moved this task from Restricted Project Column to Restricted Project Column on the Restricted Project board.Sep 13 2023, 5:01 PM

andre said this can not be left like this, on windows the name needs to be "Archive (1).tar.gpg", like in Linux.

ebo changed the task status from Testing to Open.Sep 20 2023, 9:06 AM
ebo moved this task from Restricted Project Column to Restricted Project Column on the Restricted Project board.

As eva wrote the problem is that if you decrypt only the archive and not immediately extract it, which is an option for our users this results in a broken extension. And it also looks wrong even at first glance so it does not look like we intended this. Also wouldn't we then need mime types for the tar.p7m tar.p7s, too and tar.pgp?

Sure. That's why I wrote that my fix needs to be checked on Windows. And if the regression T6726 wouldn't have blocked the test of my local fix for Windows, ....

And, yes, we/I should add the other .tar.* variants.

I have added the additional suffixes. And I have added a patch to gpg4win which makes the fix work on Windows.

ikloecker changed the task status from Open to Testing.Sep 21 2023, 12:37 PM
ikloecker removed ikloecker as the assignee of this task.
ikloecker mentioned this in Unknown Object (Event).Sep 25 2023, 9:28 AM
ebo moved this task from Restricted Project Column to Restricted Project Column on the Restricted Project board.Oct 31 2023, 2:13 PM
ebo claimed this task.
ebo moved this task from Restricted Project Column to Restricted Project Column on the Restricted Project board.

works. "archive (1).tar.gpg" is now the suggestion on Windows, too. Tested with VS-Desktop-3.1.90.267-Beta