Since moving to Qt5 we had a patch in there so that all the config files were placed in %APPDATA%\kleopatra for our applications. We did that by shipping a qt.conf and with the patch: https://dev.gnupg.org/source/gpg4win/browse/master/patches/qtbase/0001-Gpg4win-qstandardpaths-patch.patch
At some point early in the 3.x series and before the first GnuPG VS-Desktop release which was 3.1.15 this stopped working though and we did not notice until it was too late and the config files were a bit all over the place again.
Now though (probably because of the Qt update we did) that patch is working again. This is neat because everything is in the proper directory (APPDATA and not LOCALAPPDATA) and in its own folder.Currently the goal is to have this in the same directory as gpgconf --homedir in a subfolder. Probably now more aptly named "fronted" or something like that since it also contains okularrc.
But we have no migration. I had noticed this some time ago but did not track it and forgot about this and since we mostly test on fairly clean systems I think this slipped by our QA.While the Gpg4win users have not complined I think they lots their settings, most importantly the kleopatragroupsrc. We need to test this, and have a migration.
If we don't get around to fixing this issue before the next release we can just stop applying the patch and it should revert to the old behavior. So currently my plan is to do just that and see if we can maybe use some Qt API nowadays for this / have a migration in one of the next releases.
Needs attention before a GnuPG VS-Desktop release though. So high priority.