When decrypting a duplicati backup, I can enter my private key passphrase into pinentry.
Pinentry does not capture the input correctly, so I can't enter my password. Instead, the terminal crashes and produces gibberish. The mode of entering stars is sometimes on, sometimes off; when opening vim in the same shell afterwards, sometimes i is not parsed as "insert mode" anymore, instead a * is written to the top left of the screen (but not into the file). reset does not help, only closing the shell is helping.
I tested it both with the normal ssh shell and with tmux.
Steps to reproduce
- ssh into the server
- export GPG_TTY=$(tty)
- duplicati-cli backup webdav://owncloud.test.org/remote.php/dav/files/staging/ duplicati_184.108.40.206-1_all.deb --auth-password=test --auth-username=test --use-ssl --encryption-module=gpg --gpg-encryption-command=--encrypt --gpg-encryption-switches=--recipient\ "email@example.com" --passphrase=unused --prefix=testgpg4
- duplicati-cli restore webdav://owncloud.test.org/remote.php/dav/files/staging/ --auth-password=test --auth-username=test --use-ssl --encryption-module=gpg --gpg-encryption-command=--decrypt --passphrase=unused --prefix=testgpg4
- Try to enter passphrase into prompt
- At some point, give up and press ctrl+c
- while some of the entered chars are randomly turned into *, open vim
- press a for a while, press enter once, press a for a while again, when it says "--insert--" at the bottom, press enter again
- see the pinentry shell again, which tells you that you have 2 tries left for the passphrase
- enter the passphrase correctly
- see how it goes back to the duplicati shell, but does nothing for at least 10 minutes (I'm keeping you updated if this changes.)
before it loads the pinentry prompt:
first pinentry does not capture the input:
at some point it captures random letters (but not all), until you finish the process with ctrl+c:
Even if you reset the terminal, it randomly changes some letters you enter into *, they even jump to the imaginary line in the center of the screen:
And even inside vim:
But if you press the right keys, you suddenly glitch back into pinentry:
And if you enter the passphrase correctly, you see the duplicati shell again, but it's frozen:
What a ride.
issue in the duplicati issue tracker: https://github.com/duplicati/duplicati/issues/3446